Thursday 4 August 2011

August 2011, this summer's story so far ...



Its a long time since the last blog post ... and lots of progress has been made upstairs and in the garden. The first floor has some great walls, finished with tlc by Tracey, and the plumbing has been adjusted to accommodate the back to back wet rooms.
Some considerable energy, discussion and at times, family heat, went into the choice of tiles but almost all of the new ones are now here, ready to be put on the floors and walls with others that we are recycling. Paul's research on the ventilation system was intensive and that is now on order.
The garden is as wonderful as it was when I was here in April and May ... plenty of rain this summer so we have a clover meadow instead of couch grass scrub and plenty of local bees, hover flies and other buzzy things feeding from the creamy flowers. Our first roses are in bloom thanks to Paul's green fingers -its wonderful to have a breakfast view of the fields and hills past the roses and very special to watch a visiting Hoopoe feeding from what we call the evening sunny spot. I was so amazed to it that I didn't dare move to get my camera!!
I've turned the kitchen in waiting into a temporary studio, its been a great place to do my felting. So far I've made a bag, slippers and a scarf and Bev and I enjoyed making a picture together when she and Andy visited in July.  As usual we are overwhelmed by vegetables! I'm taking a break from some writing for a few days and chutney making in the cool of the early morning is part of the plan.

No comments: